peace_child


Tuesday, December 9, 2008
What concepts in the Sawi culture intrigued / reviled / saddened / angered / surprised you?

Naturally everything about this culture shocked me and honestly I wasn't very keen on finding out what exactly was the extent of their, practices and beliefs were. Especially considering how disgustingly descriptive the writing was. I mean, why did we have read about these cannibals and what could we possibly learn from reading about how some missionaries were going to apparantly change these people's lives. As far as I was concerned it was another reading assignment that was a bit more gruesome than the last.

It was only today that I came out of the shell. I read up to about chapter 17 and from there on it kind of felt like there was a door opening inside of me, I felt like I could kind of understand the Sawi more. The detailed descriptions weren't to gross the readers out or get people's attention but they were meant to help us experience the Sawi culture through the book. All of a sudden I felt my self immersed in the book, sadness overwhelmed me when an exchange of the peace child was made, fear struck my heart with the introduction of every modern device, confusion clouded my thoughts at the thought of comprehending a whole another culture unlike my own.

I was impressed at how productive everyone was and yet couldn't get over how people who could be so warm could sometimes be so cruel as to beat their own wives or honor the act of betrayal. Reading towards the end of the book is what helped me realize just how and what exaclty twisted the Sawi's culture into the head hunting and cannabalistic people of today. But what's more amazing is how there seem to be remenants of the teachings of God within these people and how they are able to relate so well with Christianity. These tribesmen who at times seem to be the most heartless of creatures show remorse and doubt and fear in their actions, there is light and truth within the depths of their hearts.

Overall the whole experience of reading about this new culture, the people of the Sawi, was a great experience for me and though I haven't finished the book yet I hope to find out just how many more surprises the Sawi have in store for me.


Posted by Jin Yoo at 3:25 AM |

1 Comments:

At February 2, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Blogger African Globe Trotters. said........
Jin, do read it to the end - I know it's hard but do. You really understand the culture and the spirit in which the book was written. The author's intention is plain as is the themes. Well done - you have proven to show deep understanding of the complexity of the spiritual and metaphysical aspects of the book. Mrs.Mc.